Thursday, June 5, 2008

The power of a partner...

-a running partner that is! I am usually a solo-runner. I actually enjoy running alone because it is one of the few times in the day that I'm actually by myself. HOWEVER, the past couple of days have been terribly humid and I've really had to dig deep to push myself to keep going. The thermometer reads 73, but the humidity is no joke! This morning as I was heading out for my 5 miler at 6:00 am, my neighbor Jen was heading out for a run at the same time. She asks if I won't to run with her....I agreed right away, but was a little hesitant at first. First of all, Jen is in the best shape of anyone I know and she's got 3 kids....she's done several marathons (all under 3:30!!), triathlons, races, etc....so you see why I was hesitant? It ended up being the greatest thing I've done. I didn't think I'd be able to talk and run, but it turns out I can. She said she was not running slow for me and that we were doing a great pace. My Garmin had us at an 8:10 pace. It was brutal towards the end with the humidity. I think I may need to be up at 5:00 am for my 9 mile run on Saturday. Not.Looking.Foward.To.That.!! All in all, I have changed my tune on running with someone...the run flew by and we have made plans to run together a few times next week too.

7 comments:

marathon mom said...

My running partners are my rock- I could never tun without them- I am so used to the company and motivation. Glad it went well- it definitely makes getting out of bed easier- and I agree about the humidity- it is awful here as well.

justme said...

i too hate running with someone, but i am thinking this might be the best way to stick with it.

Slacker Mama said...

Hmph. I thought *I* was the most in-shape person you knew...

No, I think it's great to have someone to run with. Yay for you!

5 am on a weekend is yucky. I'm thinking I might set my alarm to get up before everyone else to work out though, cause it's hard to do once everyone is up and at 'em.

Live.Love.Eat said...

That's awesome. My girlfriend and I are trying to get together to do that. I think it will help push me more. And it is very hot! Until I can get out early in the AM I started to run on the treadmill for practice.

Deep in the Heart said...

I would love a running partner here since I'm getting less motivated to get up earlier and earlier. And it's a nice mix to have some alone time on the days when she's not there.

BTW, you're the most in shape mom I know.

One Little Brownie said...

I am so wimpy! Spoiled by the lack of humidity in the Upstate! Visited DC and forgot about how horrible and muggy it is...But, did "ok" on my first run and hope to do even better tomorrow with the best running partner...my sister in law!

Sweet Pea Chef said...

You are a rock star! I don't know how you do it all...but you do!