Friday, April 4, 2008

A year in review...

This time last year I ran for the first time with a mission. You see, it was my first run post-partem from having twin boys. They were six weeks old and I had gained 63 pounds with them. 63 pounds on a small frame, 5'3" woman is a very big deal-in other words my body was a train wreck!!! With my older son I had gained 55 pounds-and he was only one child. Why, you ask? I'm not sure-I didn't gorge myself with that pregnancy, the weight just came on. I actually did not even gain any weight in the last few weeks, I was just very swollen with him-it was August!!

Anyway, this time last year I could barely run down the street without stopping. I could definitely feel pain just running a little bit. I have been running for several years, but for not very long distances-the longest race I had ever done was a 10K! I had put my weight loss efforts on hold until we were done having children-my body tends to go a little haywire in the hormonal department when I lose weight. Well, my friends, we are done and I wanted my body back.

When I started running, I set small goals for myself, "run to the tree, stop, take a break, walk a little, then run again". I would come home and tell Dan, "well, I only stopped once or twice". Slowly, I didn't stop anymore, I just kept on going. Surely enough, the weight started melting away. I'm happy to say, I have lost all of the weight and more. Since February 12, 2007 I've lost a total of 72 pounds and I owe it all to running, weight training and eating healthy. I honestly feel better than I have my entire life. I have 3 beautiful children, an amazing husband and my health back. My story doesn't stop here though-I've put my pursuits on doing a marathon in December. I'm so excited about it-I'll also do a half-marathon along the way too.

I don't run with the boys either. I have a hard time running with a jogging stroller and also living down here in the south-it can get very hot even in the early morning. I run for me, by myself, before Dan goes to work. It is my time to either think about saving the world or nothing at all. I am a better mom because of it. I want my boys to look up to me, I want them to want to be healthy. It takes discipline knowing that it's just me telling myself to get up, no one else is holding me accountable. But now it's like nothing to do. It's in my routine just as brushing my teeth or showering is....

So why am I telling you this? Yesterday a friend of mine told me she wanted to start running and I got so excited about it. Anyone can be a runnner if you set your mind and heart to it. From someone who could barely make it to the end of their street last year...to now being on her way to training a marathon.. YOU CAN DO IT!!! All things are possible, just believe you can!!!

8 comments:

justme said...

you rock

Heather J. said...

This is a great motivator..thank you for sharing.

Puttin' On The GRITS said...

I'm really glad you wrote that. I've always wanted to be able to run and, of course, always told myself that i couldn't do it. And then I pinch and nag on my body. So many people say, "You just have to stick with it. It'll get easier." so reading this was motivating. :)

marathon mom said...

Great post!!! You are amazing and have had an amazing year! I am so proud of you, and appreciate your support so much.

Slacker Mama said...

Very, very inspiring! Congrats and good luck!

PaperCourt said...

Congrats. And I completely agree with you about anyone being a runner. I ran a marathon in 2001 and I believe that anyone can do it if they train. I've been working out for a while but I've started running again on my off days from the gym. It feels great!

One Little Brownie said...

I usually have to hop on the 'ol treadmill...my husband leaves for work at 5:30 am, but I like being outside, so I get out when I can...usually weekends, or preschool days! I tried running with the jog stroller, too...running with no arms is (oddly enough) NOT easy! I'm still at the "if I can just get to that mailbox..." phase, but it's amazing how fast endurance builds. I enjoy your blog!

Somewhere Between Pinot and Pacifiers said...

You have such a great attitude. Good luck at the race today. I know you will feel awesome after running in it.